Speaking the Language of Math
The learner will develop math language fluency strategies specific to our primary students by learning more about:
- Explicit and intentional math language instruction, beginning with even the youngest mathematicians
- Tackling the contextual and precision challenges of becoming a fluent math speaker
- The role of mediated learning in math language development
- Training our students to have a positive math mindset, molding mistakes into solutions
- Ongoing anecdotal assessment through language-driven tools like math interviews and math talks
- Practical, effective, and FUN ways to incorporate math language fluency into your math block through play
About Your Instructor:
Katie Smith, M.Ed., PCET
Katie is an enthusiastic educator, serving and developing students for the past 14 years as a classroom teacher, mentor teacher, district-level math curriculum specialist, and presently, as an educational therapist. As both a parent and educator of students with learning differences, she is passionate about building competence and confidence in all learners. Katie is a Professionally Certified Educational Therapist, has 6 years of NILD educational therapy experience, and currently serves students at a private, Christ-centered, college-preparatory school in The Woodlands, Texas.
Monthly webinars from top experts in the field of learning science, plus unlimited access to webinar library.